Wednesday, August 19, 2015

What will yours say??


Several weeks ago I took my kids to San Diego, a promised trip before the dreaded school year began.  As always we sat on their Dad's memorial bench and ate breakfast, then we drove out to Point Loma to the National Cemetery where their Stayer Grandparents are buried. Both memorial spots are always moving to me...remembering the loved one but also reminding myself that LIFE IS SHORT!  I know it may seem weird to some, but if you ever want to be inspired go to a cemetery.  Spend some time reading the headstones. We did this time.  We walked up and down the rows, respectfully reading the last lines written in someones honor.  Read these!  It invites the question...what will yours say???

I don't want to be morbid but think about it, we spend a lifetime that will be summed up in one line.  What will yours say, what will mine say??  What am I spending my life cultivating? What are other people, the ones who will write the line, seeing as important to me?  Does my time reflect the things I value?  Does my life reflect my heart? Proverbs 27:19 "As water reflects the face, so one's life reflects the heart."  Funny, I did not see one stone that said, "Full bank account", "Super clean house", "300 hours of PTO never taken" .  :) 

We get one shot at this!  Yes I said one.  "Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgement..." Hebrews 9:27  Maybe what is more important than the one line, is to think about that day...judgement day.  The day I will leave this earth and stand before God and give reason for why I should spend eternity in heaven, believe me you don't want to spend it in hell as some joke about.  The beauty in the truth of the Bible is, I don't have to have even one line, one sentence to sum that up....it come down to one word, one name...Jesus!  The rest Hebrews 9:27 says, "...so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him."   "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Romans 10:13 "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to man by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12

So while you are spending a life cultivating what your headstone will say...call on, believe in the one name that will assure your forever home...your eternity.  Then perhaps your stone can rightfully say....



No comments:

Post a Comment