Friday, October 10, 2014

Hallowed be Thy Name...

H

"Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name..."
Hallowed: verb...honor as holy, used to describe something that is sacred and revered.
New Living Version says, "Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy." Matthew 6:9
Most of us know the Lord's prayer, even if we don't profess Christianity as our faith.  I have been in secular meetings like AA where every meeting ends with saying the Lord's Prayer.  

"Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..."
 Do I hold the name of God sacred, holy, revered?  
I'm gonna be bold here...
One of the most offensive things I find in our society today is the use of God's name as a curse word.  I would also like to point out that I have never heard the name of another world religion's god used as profanity, have you?
"Oh Shiva!" (name of one of the Supreme gods of the Hindu sects.)
"Allah condemn it" (The Islam god)
"Oh Buddha!"
Why then is the name of the God of the Bible, the Savior of our world, the babe who's birth we celebrate at Christmas, the sacrificial lamb who's death we talk about in the Spring used as an explicative, profanity, a common swear word??
 Because a slithering snake, a devouring lion, a thief doesn't want us to know there is power in that name.  There is healing in that name.
There is hope in that name.
If we reduce His name to an everyday slang, a run-of-the-mill swear word then we won't have to acknowledge His greatness, His divinity. 

Know the name?
Know the name...
"Those who know Your name trust in You, for you, Lord have never forgotten those who seek You." Psalm 9:10
"Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Joel 2:32, Romans 10:13
"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to man-kind by which they must be saved." Acts 4:12
There is a disadvantage to the English language and translation of the Bible.  In the original text, Greek and Hebrew, there are many different names used for our word "God" or "Lord".  The different names God used for Himself teach us about who He is.
These are a few of God's name that I have come to know and depend upon...
Elohim- Creator
El Roi- The God who sees me when no one else seems to...
El Shadday- God Almighty...who parts rivers providing for escape.  The God who provides a way out of trouble when there seems to be no way out....
Yahweh Yireh- The Lord will provide...oh how I know this name!  When I have $20 to my name and the bills are due, power is being shut off, and the kids are hungry...
Yahweh Rophe- The Lord who heals, when your heart is broken, the loss is overwhelming, the skies are DARK and there seems to be no end to the pain and hurt...
Yahweh Tsuri- The Lord my Rock...where I can find shelter and safety when the storms hit
Yahweh Roi- My Shepherd who leads me along the green, pleasant, calm paths and the same one who leads me THROUGH the valley of death and darkness...
Abba- Daddy, Father...when my earthly Dad is gone and I need Daddy wisdom, protection, "atta-girl" motivation...
The next time you or someone around you calls out God's name...pause and think about all that is behind that name...
That name is the only name that can truly save, truly heal, and truly provide hope...

He knows each star and calls them by name, (Psalm 147:4) and He knows your name (John 10:3)...I am quite sure He doesn't use your name as profanity because He LOVES you!!!

Hallowed, honored, holy....

No comments:

Post a Comment